Disclaimer:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property
of their respective owners. The original
character and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the
owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Summary: Part 2 of the Lil’ Bird Series. With the hope of CDC lost, the Grimes and the
Walsh families are on the road to Ft. Benning.
What will Birdie find along the way?
Will Birdie and Shane remain side by side wherever the road might
lead? *No evil Shane*
Warning: This fan-fiction is rated Mature for
Language, Gore and Adult Situations.
Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.
Pairing: Shane &
Birdie Walsh
Chapter Six
I found Shane sitting in the middle of a pew when I returned
to the group, still furiously rubbing my eyes.
His eyes crossed over to my face and he did a double take when he saw
the fresh tears still screaming down my cheeks.
His dark eyes narrowed, zeroing in on my red-rimmed eyes and his mouth
curled down into a deep frown.
“What the fuck
happened now?” He demanded in a whisper
as his rough calloused thumbs began brushing the wetness from my eyes. He was damn murderous as he tried to comfort
me, pulling me under his arm and tucking my head into his chest.
His heartbeat was erratic, beating wildly in the pulsing
vein at his neck. “What happened,
baby?” His tone was softer now, but I
could practically hear his teeth grinding in his mouth as he gritted out
question after question. “Was it
somethin’ Rick said?”
I nodded, but was honest when I told him, “I don’t wanna
talk about it right now.”
“Baby, if he said somethin’—
“No,” I told him, shaking my head against the soft cotton of
his t-shirt. “I just ripped him a new
one…please just leave him be. Give him
some time to think about everythin’. But
we will be discussing this leaving business, later.”
“Alright, Birdie, I let it go…for now.” He conceded,
dropping a kiss to my head as we watched Carol praying to the large statue of
Christ who was morbidly covered in walker blood.
It was saddening to watch Carol beat herself up over Ed’s
disappearance. Did she really believe
God was punishing her because she prayed for absolution against the man who had
caused her grief and pain for years? I
guess this wasn’t what she had thought when she had prayed to be delivered from
her bondage. If Carol really loved Ed,
then in my mind, the woman was a Saint.
“I gotta go see what Rick has planned,” Shane said, kissing
my temple as he rose. “You gonna wait
here with Lori?”
I nodded, but tugged on his hand as he started to walk
away. “Please—
“Best behavior,” he said with a smirk. “I promise.”
“Thank you, baby.” I
told him, kissing the knuckles of the hand I still held.
He looked down at me, an expression of complete devotion on
his face. “I love you.”
Shane had told me he loved me in a lot of different ways
over the years…friendship, partnership, lovers…but he had never said it quite
like he just had. Every single
insecurity I had ever had…every doubt…it was gone, lost in the loving tone in
which he spoke.
With tears welling back up in my eyes, I replied. “I love you, too, Shane.”
~
Lori met me at the end of my pew a few seconds later; her
eyes looked a lot like mine. What the
hell was going on around here?
“Lori?” I asked,
concerned.
She didn’t say anything, but she threw herself at me and
embraced me in a hug that almost hurt.
“Thank God you’re not leaving, I don’t know if I could do this without
you.” She cried.
Oh Dear Lord, I
thought to myself as the urge to smack my brother senseless burned anew.
“Lori… Shane and I, we’re not goin’ anywhere.” I told her, holding her tightly too me. Man, she acting weird lately.
“I know,” she said, pulling back. “I know, I confronted Shane about it…he said
he was just angry. What the hell did
Rick say to him to piss him off so bad?
Is that why he snapped at Carl this mornin’?”
“Yeah,” I told her with a sigh, “Look, we need to get out
there, but we’ll talk about that later…and about whatever it is that’s got you
actin’ like a mad woman.”
Her eyes went wide for a second before she schooled her
features and pulled a neutral face as she nodded.
We found the boys outside arguing…again, before he patted
Ricky on the shoulder stormed towards, rubbing his head and clearing his
throat. Lori and I looked up from where
we were sitting in the grass with Carl and Sophia as Shane made his announcement.
“Ya’ll are gonna follow the creek-bed back,” he said,
tugging up his loose pants and Lori and I made to stand. “Daryl you’re in charge. Rick and I are gonna hang back, search this
area another hour or so…just to be thorough.”
Daryl looked at Shane and Rick like they were crazy. “Splittin’ us up, you sure?”
“Yeah,” Shane answered, looking to me. “We’ll catch up to you.”
“I wanna stay too,” Carl piped in and I had to grip Lori’s
arm when she stumbled at her son’s declaration.
“I wanna help; like Dad.”
Lori looked worried, but she kissed my nephews head and told
him to be careful.
“Take Tru with you?”
I told them both. Ricky looked up
but didn’t say anything as Shane asked me if I was sure.
“Yeah,” I told him, walking over to the gathered group of
Glenn, Andrea, Carol, Sophia and Daryl.
“This group already has one bloodhound.”
I said, playfully smacking Daryl’s shoulder.
“Watch it, Red.”
Daryl growled, and Ricky snorted behind his hand.
Shane didn’t look very impressed by the redneck and I
keeping up a playful banter, but he could suck it, Daryl and I were friends…and
he needed to get over it.
Ricky approached Lori as I made my way to my husband, giving
him my best set of puppy eyes that had always made him melt.
“Woman,” he growled teasingly as he pulled me too him and
swatted my ass. “You’ll be the death of
me.”
“Awe, come on, Papa Walsh, ya know I only have eyes for
you.” I told him, squeezing his
sides.
“It ain’t your eyes I’m worried about.” He groused into my hair. “Be careful out there…stay close to the sleazy
redneck.”
I grinned and bit his nipple through his shirt, laughing
quietly when he growled. “I promise not
to stray from my suitor.”
“Birdie,” Shane growled lowly into my ear. “If you’re not real careful, girl, I’m gonna punish
you later.”
I pulled back from his chest and looked up at him from under
my lashes, making sure to give him my most innocent smile. “Promise, Sherriff?”
He looked completely dumbfounded that I was flirting with
him like this and I guess he had reason to be shocked. Rick and I were always the quiet ones in
school, and I was always the quiet one at home.
I didn’t even have a boyfriend till the end of junior year and other
than that wild…wild 21st birthday party, I was always just shy,
sweet, innocent little Birdie. My poor
husband really didn’t have a clue what he had married into.
“Go on, Smart-ass.”
He swore, kissing me once before pushing me off towards Lori who was
excepting a spare gun that Daryl was carrying.
Andrea looked ready to spit nails by this point.
She could go fuck herself.
Lori was a crack shot and though she wasn’t currently certified, she had
been trained and at least knew how to turn the fuckin’ safety off.
“Trusty,” I called out, snorting a bit when he tripped over
his own ears as he climbed to his feet.
“You go with Papa Walsh. Be good,
boy.” I bent down kissing him on the top
of his stinky head and got a nice slobbery kiss in return before I turned and
ran to catch up with the others.
I really didn’t like the idea of splitting up any more than
Lori or Shane did, but I could only pray that we found Ed quickly before
anything else bad happened.
~
We had only been walking a little ways when Carol dropped
down onto a felled tree and started bitching once more. I really enjoyed Carol’s company on most
days…but since Ed had gone missing she had turned into this…different person,
and whoever she was now was grating on the already overly sensitive nerves that
Andrea had been working since we left the Church. Every few minutes…Andrea would turn to Lori
and I, scoff at us and then turn away again.
It was obvious what her problem was and I was just biding my
time until she said something, ‘cause when she did, she was gonna get an
earful.
“So this is it? This
is the whole plan?” Carol asked, looking
to Daryl who cut her off.
He sighed. “I guess
the plan is to whittle us down into smaller and smaller groups…cover more
ground—
“Carrying knives and pointing sticks,” Andrea interrupted
hatefully before she rounded on my sister-in-law. “I see you have a gun.”
Lori head snapped up with fire glowing in her eyes. “Why, you want it?” She asked, glaring at
Andrea as she passed her the small revolver.
“Here, take it. I’m sick of the
looks you’re giving me.”
As Lori held out the gun, I swooped in, snatching it up
before Andrea could get a grip on it.
“No, I don’t think so.” I said,
handing the gun back to Daryl. “Lori, if
you don’t want it than give it back to Daryl.”
Daryl stepped forward, taking the pistol from my hand and
Andrea walked up to get in my face. “Who
died and made you Queen all of a sudden.
Just because you’re married to—
“This ain’t got nothin’ to do with that, Andrea,” I said,
taking a step closer to her. If she
thought for one second that she was intimating, she really had another thing
coming. “Look, you have no idea how to safely
handle a gun. You’re a smart woman…and
I’m sure you could learn pretty damn quick, but until you do…back the fuck
off. Lori’s been trained and you stuck a
loaded gun in my brother’s face not three days ago.”
She scoffed, but said nothing else as she raised her hands
and backed away. It might have had
something to do with the fact that I was holding a loaded 30/06 pump action
rifle.
Lori sat down next to Carol, rocking herself in her
anger. I knew this would happen, but I
was genuinely surprised that this hadn’t been said last night. “Look, I know what it’s like…missing your husband,
to see what you have and not being able to do anything to stop it. But, you have got to stop blaming Rick. It is on your face every time you look at
him…
I made my way around the fallen log, and pressed a hand on
Lori’s shoulder in support and comfort as she continued to speak. Carol already knew how I felt about her
scathing looks towards my brother and it was in my opinion that Lori was being
very generous with her words. I would
have lit that woman up like the Times Square Christmas tree faster than she
could blink.
“Once Ed ran, he didn’t even hesitate…not even for a
second. I don’t know that any of us
would have gone after him the way he did, made the hard decision that he had to
make. I don’t think that anybody could
have done it any differently.”
As Lori finished I had to admit that Carol looked thoroughly
chastised. I was proud and jealous all
in the same gesture…maybe it was a Mom thing that I could just never
understand. I had basically said all the
same things to Carol the night before…and she never once looked as guilty as
she did right now.
“Anybody?” Lori
asked, her head darting from one face to another. “You all look to him and blame him, but he’s
not perfect. If you think you can do
this without him, than go right ahead…Nobody is stoppin’ you.”
Everyone was deathly quiet as Lori said her piece, every one
of them looking just as scolded as Carol.
Andrea murmured a soft apology and Daryl handed Lori the gun back.
“We should keep moving,” Andrea said, looking from Lori to
me with her face softened. I nodded
before extending my hand to my sister and helping her to her feet.
I walked up past Daryl and he awkwardly threw his filthy,
sweaty arm over my shoulder. “Ya alrigh’,
Red?”
I scoffed at him before hugging his side. “Just another day in paradise, Dixon, just
another day.”
~
“You know…Rick and I were fighting the day he was
shot.”
I stopped dead in my tracks, my head turning to Lori. It was a really off the wall thing for her to
say…but I guess I did say we’d talk about her acting funny.
“Yeah…what about?”
She shrugged her shoulders.
“I really don’t remember now, but I know I was bein’ a bitch—
“Lori,” I scolded but she shook her head.
“No, I was…I was tryin’ so hard to get him to fight with me
but he just—
“Lori,” I laughed.
“You know better than anyone how Rick is with you. To him, you might as well been a southern
belle from Twelve Oaks…you’re a lady to him and he was raised with better
manners than that.”
She laughed with me.
“I know…but it always irked me that he would never have it out with me
when he’d always fight with you.”
I snorted at that. “I
ain’t no lady…I’m nothin’ but a sister.”
“The Aristocats.”
Sophia said softly next to her Mama and every head, including Daryl’s
turned to look at the shy child. “It’s
from the Aristocats, right?”
I nodded. “Good call,
Sophia. It’s one of Carl’s favorite
movies.”
She smiled and Carol laughed. It was the first time I had seen her smile or
laugh since Ed went missing yesterday.
Lori laughed next to me.
“How could I forget?”
“’Cause you ain’t the one who had to watch it on repeat for
week straight when you and Ricky went on that second honeymoon,” I
grumbled. “I’m pretty sure Shane can
quote the entire thing word for word.”
She laughed hard, covering her face with her hands to muffle
the sound. “Oh God, he tortured Rick for
weeks with that damn song. It got so bad
that Rick would come home whistling it at the end of every shift.”
“Well,” I chuckled.
“That’s what he gets for goin’ on a sex filled vacation and leavin’
Shane and I to be tortured by an evil four year old obsessed with all things
Disney.”
She nudged my shoulder with hers, “You and Shane could have
had just as much fun if you both weren’t cowards.”
“Oh yeah,” I scoffed.
“I’m sure Rick wouldn’t have had a heart-attack if he came home and
found out that Shane and I did the dirty on the kitchen counter.”
“The kitchen counter, huh?”
Lori teased, jabbing my sides with her bony elbow.
“Shut-up,” I grumbled.
“There was a lot of pent up frustrations flyin’ around in that
kitchen.”
“Oh—
Whatever comeback she had died as we all heard the lone
gun-shot echoing off the trees.
Instantly, my heart climbed into my throat as dread and anxiety filled
my entire being. Something was horribly
wrong. My twin senses were tingling. Something had happened to Rick…and it was
something bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment