Disclaimer:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property
of their respective owners. The original
character and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the
owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Summary: Part 2 of the Lil’ Bird Series. With the hope of CDC lost, the Grimes and the
Walsh families are on the road to Ft. Benning.
What will Birdie find along the way?
Will Birdie and Shane remain side by side wherever the road might
lead? *No evil Shane*
Warning: This fan-fiction is rated Mature for
Language, Gore and Adult Situations.
Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.
Pairing: Shane &
Birdie Walsh
Chapter Eight
Ricky giggled next to me… actually giggled.
“You remember the time Shane stole the principal’s
car?” Ricky asked and I snorted out a
laugh and nodded. Oh yeah, I remembered
that vividly; it was one of the stupidest and funny pranks Shane ever pulled
off.
“Legendary…” I said
sarcastically. I swear that idiot hadn’t
quit bragging since.
“It was legendary,” Ricky replied
defensively. “Took it right out of the
teacher’s lot in the middle of the school day.”
“Forgive me if I didn’t see it quite like that.” I said with a huff as I settled back into my chair
to hear the rest of the story…not that I needed to.
Ricky looked up and pinched my arm. “You don’t remember why he did it, do
you?”
What the hell was he talking about?
I’m sure my face looked confused enough, but in case he
missed that gesture, I said. “What? I don’t remember there ever being a
reason…other than Shane’s an arrogant S.O.B.”
Ricky and Lori both laughed and I guess the joke was on me
now.
“What?” I asked
again, miffed that there was something that they knew that I didn’t.
“It was your first day back to school after your first and
only suspension, remember?” I
nodded. “Remember what you got suspended
for?”
I didn’t even have to think about it. “Yeah, I punched Janice Kingsly in the mouth
after she told the entire senior class that Jake Deerborn dumped me because I
wouldn’t put out—
“That ain’t all she said.”
Ricky commented but I let it slide without saying anything. Everyone in this room—excluding my
nephew—knew what she had truly said to the entire senior class; which is why I
decked that bitch.
“Yeah, what’s that got to do with the price of putty?”
Ricky and Lori both looked at me very pointedly…and finally
the situation dawned on me. Janice
Kingsly was the only child of Principal Jonathan Kingsly and I remember the
embarrassing and unfair expulsion I received when I hit her. Shane was defending me.
“You get it now?”
Ricky asked and I nodded, blushing a little. I was embarrassed that it took me 16 years to
finally understand that prank.
“Anyway, Shane steps out of lunch and makes a B-line to
Principals Kingsly’s Hyundai and wires the ignition. He peels out, drives to a chicken farm out
there…”
“You have heard this right?”
Ricky asked Lori, again.
She had to have known that between the blood loss and traumatic
events of the day were finally catching up to my brother because she just
smiled and nodded even though, I knew this was a story she had probably heard
more than I had and I was there.
“So he pulls into one of the big holdin’ pens. Now Kingsly had that car waxed every month,
had the auto shop vacuum it out every week...
“That old bastard loved that car.” I added with a smile.
Rick nods and starts to chuckle, “…But Shane, he parks it in
this huge pen with a couple of Rhode Island Reds and busts open a couple of
bags of seed in the back seat…Rolls down the windows and starts sprintin’ back
to school. It’s three miles easy, but…
“He was back in time to finish his sandwich before the bell
rung.” I finished for him.
“The bell rings and Shane gets up and runs right into
Kingsly in the hallway. He looks out the
window and say: “Principal Kingsly, your coupes gone.” Ricky laughed. “You get it…like chicken coop.”
Lori breathed deep on the other side of the bed and I could
tell that the story was neither amusing nor distracting her so I squeezed
Ricky’s hand.
“Of course she gets it, Ricky; she’s had to have heard this
story a thousand times.” I told him
softly, interlacing my fingers with his.
His head bobbed tiredly in a wobbly nod, “Yeah…the point is:
if Shane says he’s gonna do somethin’, he does it. Shane’s gonna make it back with what the
doctor needs. He’ll make it back.”
Lori looked over at me, her eyes shiny brightly with unshed
tears in the dim lighting of the room.
She looked terrified from me to Rick and I knew she wasn’t just worried
about her little boy anymore. Rick had
given too much blood, it was plainly written in his pale features and he was
quickly becoming unstable.
“Please eat.” She begged as she delicately kissed the
fingers on her son’s hand. “You gotta
keep your strength up.”
~
It wasn’t long after story time that Hershel and a lovely
woman in her late-40’s named Patricia had me hooked up to a transfusion machine
that looked like it came straight off a movie set of Bram Stoker’s
Dracula. That also happened to be when
Glenn and T-dog decided that they were safe from the nuclear meltdown between
my brother and his wife and came in to see how Carl was doing.
“Hey.” Glenn said timidly as he shuffled through the doorway
with T-dog—who was still wrapped in that same Army blanket that Shane and I had
cuddled on not even a week ago—right behind him.
“Hey,” my brother replied distractedly, never taking his
eyes off Carl.
“Hey guys,” I said, giving them both a slight wave from
where I sat next to my nephew, “sorry about earlier.”
Ricky didn’t even pay attention but Lori looked to with her
eyebrow raised, probably wondering what I had done that would warrant an
apology.
Shrugging my shoulders, I explained. “I kind of went off the deep end when…” I
trialed off, waving over Carl’s prone little body and she nodded. At this point, a blind person would have
understood what I meant.
“It ain’t nothin’, Lil’ Red.” T-dog supplied with a cough.
Glenn just nodded, his eyes never leaving the gruesome scene
in front of him as he muttered, “Um…we’re here, okay.”
My brother finally looked up from where he sat next to me
with his head in his hands. “Thank
you.”
Lori nodded from next to him, also giving her thanks.
“Whatever you need.”
T-dog said solemnly as Maggie ushered him and Glenn back out the
door.
As soon as they were gone Hershel stood and checked Carl’s
pulse, his eyes closing in disappointment.
Without word he removed the sheet from my nephew’s abdomen and it was
hard not to cry out at the sight. His
little stomach was swollen and bruised…he was showing clear signs of internal
bleeding. Lori had already filled me in
on Carl’s condition long ago and I can vouch that it is one thing to hear about
an injury as severe as Carl’s and another thing entirely to watch it
progress.
Hershel sighed as Ricky, Lori and I began to cry, but his
eyes were constantly searching between Ricky and Lori’s.
“They don’t get back soon, we’re gonna have a decision to
make.” Hershel told them.
“And that is?” My
brother asked as chewing on his pinky…something I hadn’t seen him do since he
was a little boy.
“Whether to operate on your boy without the respirator—
“You said that wouldn’t work.” Lori interrupted as she leaned forward,
looking the old veterinarian dead in the eyes.
“I know,” he said, looking from my Lori to my brother. “It’s highly unlikely, but we can’t wait much
longer.”
Lori jumped up from her chair as Patricia pulled the hard,
thick needle from my arm and I went to stand to go after her. As soon as I stood the powerful throbbing
from behind my eyes returned and I immediately fell back into my chair.
“Honey, you just gave blood,” the woman told me sternly,
clapping her hand on my shoulder.
“But Lori—
“She’ll be fine,” she interrupted as she crouched down
beside my chair, “but you’ll give out if you try and stand again like
that.”
“You alrigh’, Lil’ Bird,” my brother asked, his attention
now fully on me.
“Yeah,” I told him, squeezing my eyes shut to block out the
blinding pain of the lamp light that seemed to have moved closer to my
head. “Just a little dizzy spell.”
“Hon?” Patricia asked as her cool hands took hold of my
chin. “Have you had any medical related
issues lately? You shouldn’t have had
this strong of a reaction from the amount blood you’ve given.”
As soon as the question was out of her mouth my intent was
to lie to her. It was a decision though,
that was quickly taken out of my hands by my brother.
“Concussion,” he said warily, and I knew if I could actually
open my eyes and see his face without becoming sick, he would have tears in his
eyes. “Four days ago. A man…the man we’re lookin’ for…he hit her
and she fell…hit her head on a rock.”
“Hmmm,” she said thoughtfully. “You’ll just have to take it easy, I’ll have
Maggie fix you somethin’ to eat.”
She patted my hand as she stood and I grasped it quickly
before she could leave. “The black man out
there…T-dog, he’s got a blood infection.
I-I gave him some Doxycycline…would you have a look at his stiches? I told him to keep them clean but…”
“Don’t you worry about a thing, hon, I’ll look’em over.” She said squeezing my hand again, and I
finally found the courage to look up at her.
She wasn’t looking at me but over at my brother as she pointed her
finger and spoke. “You too, easy now,
you hear?”
Ricky nodded before easing up out of his chair and making
his way to the door. He stopped just before
crossing the threshold and turned back to look at me. “Will you?”
I glared up at him.
“Like that’s even a question worth wastin’ your breath over.”
He nodded and sluggishly strolled from the room.
~
My eyes flew open as I jolted awake; I guess that at some
point I must have dozed off in my chair.
I had never felt so damn tired in all my life. But that thought was quickly put from my mind
when I realized what had woken me.
Carl was coughing…
Carl was awake.
“Where are we?” He panted as Ricky and Lori burst through
the door seconds later, both looking overjoyed to see their little one
conscious again.
“This is Hershel…we’re in his house,” Ricky told him,
looking to the man himself as I stood and made my way behind Lori, covering my
mouth with both hands as I sobbed happily.
“Ya...ya had an accident.”
Carl nodded his head as he tried to pull down the bedding to
look at his wounds, his hands trembling from the pain wracking his body. “It h-h-hurts…a lot”
“Oh baby, I know…” Lori said, her voice choking up as she
rubbed his head. “I know…I know…”
“You should have seen it,” Carl said smiling as he looked up
at his mother.
“What?” Lori asked.
“Deer,” Carl simply replied.
“It was so pretty, Mom. It was so
close. I’ve never been…” His voice trailed off as his eyes went vacant
before rolling up into his skull…
There was an intense silence that fell over the room…I don’t
think any of us even took a breath as we watched helplessly as Carl stopped
breathing.
No. No. No. No. NO!
“Carl?” Ricky called
shakily at the same time Lori asked.
“What’s happening?”
Suddenly my nephew gasped before surging off the bed as his
body started to seize. Hershel flew into
action as Ricky, Lori and I all threw bodies on the bed to hold him down.
“No,” he told us shoving our hands away and rolling Carl to
his side. “It’s a seizer, you could
hurt’em. He’s just gotta go through
it.”
“You can’t stop it?!”
Lori cried, throwing herself into Ricky’s arms as I watched my nephew
flop on the bed. I don’t think any of us
ever felt completely powerless before; I know I hadn’t. There was nothing we could do to stop it…we
could only wait.
He continued on like that for what seemed like an eternity
before he finally fell still and passed back out. I threw myself back down into my chair,
sobbing hard as Hershel moved in and started checking his vitals.
“His brain isn’t getting enough blood,” Hershel said as he
checked Carl’s pupils. “His pressures
bottoming…he needs another transfusion.”
“Okay, I’m ready,” Ricky said without hesitation…but Hershel
shook his head.
“If I take any more your body could shut down and you could
go into a coma or cardiac arrest—
“Then take mine,” I said, already holding out my arm, ready
to give the last drop if I had too. “If
you can’t take his…take mine.”
Hershel looked at me.
“You—young lady—could end up in just as bad of shape or worse. You have a very severe concussion and your
underweight—
“I don’t care,” I told him fiercely, thrusting my arm
out. “Carl needs his Daddy and his Mama—
“You’re waistin’ time,” Ricky interrupted, his eyes wild
with fear.
Hershel nodded and jerked up the old instrument from the
bed. Ricky held out his arm, but the old
man bypassed him knocking his arm out of the way as he made his way to crouch
in front of me.
“No,” Ricky said.
“Take—
“Shut-up, Ricky and sit down!” I nearly yelled at him as Hershel fed the
tube deep into my vein. “Let me do this
for you.”
“Rick, your sister is very right; when your son makes it
through this, he’s gonna need his father.”
Hershel told my brother as he spun around and hooked the identical tube
into Carl’s I.V.
“Thank you Birdie…thank you.” Lori kept repeating and I nodded and let
her. She didn’t have to say anything…she
knew it…I knew it, but I would do anything to put her at ease right now. If that just happened to be her repeating
“thank you” like a mantra, then so be it.
“Birdie,” Ricky choked out.
“Shane’s gonna be here…he’s gonna—
“Ricky, please shut-up.”
I begged as I started to cry. I
was already beyond worried sick about him, I didn’t need Ricky constantly
repeating that.
“Ma’am, Patricia said that your other man…Shane, he’s your
husband?” Hershel asked, obviously
tryin’ to distract me.
“Yes, Sir, he is.” I
nodded, my free hand stroking Carl’s as my blood started to float from one tube
to the other.
“He’s a good man.”
“Yes,” I smiled. “The
best.”
~
Sometime later, Hershel returned, again timing Carl’s vitals
with his pocket timepiece. After a few
minutes he shook his head and sighed.
“He’s losing blood faster than we can replace it.”
“I can give more,” I said as I clamored to my feet
shakily.
My head was throbbing and I was having a hard time focusing
on Hershel’s face. I felt like I was
drunk…but I wasn’t happy and I could feel everything.
“No,” Hershel replied, shaking his head. “You’ve given too much already. I can’t risk taking from either of you again
so soon.”
“I don’t—
“We need to operate now,” Hershel said, cutting me off,
“…because I think this boy is out of time.”
Lori and Rick were stock still and silent. “You have to make a choice.”
“A choice?” I asked
with a shudder. Even in my delusional
state, I knew that didn’t sound good.
“A choice,” Ricky parroted to Lori, gripping her too
him. “You have to tell me what it
is. You have to tell me.”
I didn’t breath at all in the time I waited for Lori to make
the final decision on my nephew’s life, I don’t think I could have taken a
breath if I tried.
“We do it,” Lori said, standing tall with a hell of a lot
more courage than I had right now.
Instantly Hershel called for Patricia and she came storming
into the room with a metal operating table I had seen used many times in my
profession. Hershel was rolling up his
sleeves as he spoke.
“Okay, get the corner of that bed,” he said as he started
pulling the covers off Carl. “Get the bedding down, everybody…
We moved in unison—the three of us—each taking a stance by
our side of bed as Hershel continued to mouth off orders with a military like
precision.
“You, get the I.V. on the sheet,” He demanded to me and I
did what he asked as fast as I could and removed the pillow from under Carl’s
head as well.
“Okay, on three…One…Two…Three…” He said and we hefted the unconscious body of
my nephew onto the table. “Rick, Lori,
Birdie…you may want to step out.”
“Oh God,” My brother muttered quietly, pushing past me as we
all heard the rumble of a vehicle pulling up.
“You stay here with him,” Hershel demanded of Patricia as he
grabbed my arm and pulled me along with him out the door. “I believe your husband is here.”
The old sky blue Ford screeched to a halt just as Hershel
and I made it past the screen door, but my heart dropped into my stomach as saw
the figures of two men I didn’t recognize exit the truck; one lanky and one
large.
The large man rushed forward, heaving for breath. He was lugging one large red pack of
equipment with him, a rifle, and my brother’s pistol. The other thin man was carrying an identical
pack in the color blue…and Shane’s shot-gun.
There was no words describe the overwhelming sense of terror
that I felt as my eyes darted around the dark field, looking for any trace of
Shane or Trusty.
I waited with a baited breath for Shane to pop out from some
unseen shadow of the vehicle, but after sever tense moments it became glaringly
obvious…so obvious that my heart stuttered in my chest and fresh tears formed
in my eyes.
My husband was not among them.
No comments:
Post a Comment