Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Chapter Four


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property of their respective owners.  The original character and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Summary:  Part 2 of the Lil’ Bird Series.  With the hope of CDC lost, the Grimes and the Walsh families are on the road to Ft. Benning.  What will Birdie find along the way?  Will Birdie and Shane remain side by side wherever the road might lead?  *No evil Shane* 

Warning:  This fan-fiction is rated Mature for Language, Gore and Adult Situations.  Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.

Pairing: Shane & Birdie Walsh

Chapter Four


 

“That goes without saying.”  Lori chimed in, patting Carol awkwardly on the shoulder as she appeared with a crate full of canned goods.  It was an especially awkward situation since I knew that Lori really wanted to shake some sense into the woman; it was written all over her face. 

“Rick and Daryl are on it,” Shane interrupted, looking at Carol the same way Lori had—like he wanted to throttle her—but he did his best impression of the concerned police officer as he slung a big sweaty arm over my shoulder.  “It’ll only be a matter of time.” 

“Ew,” I told him, my nose wrinkling in distaste.  “You’re disgustin’.” 

“Ya’know you love that man smell, darlin’.”  He told me at a whisper as he ducked his head to kiss the bare skin behind my ear. 

Lori looked like she wanted to laugh, and amazingly so did Andrea, but the serious look on Carol’s face had us all biting our cheeks to hold it in.  I guess it was in bad taste to be flirting with my husband while Carol’s was probably becoming some walker’s lunch. 

“Won’t be soon enough for me,” Andrea commented, tossing me a bottle of water.  “I’d like to get out of here before another Herd passes us by…or whatever you call it.” 

Carol, apparently having enough of us ignoring her, walked back over to the guard rail that Ed had charged over earlier with her arms crossed around her middle. 

“Yeah, what was that?  All of them just marching along like that?”  Glenn asked, not even paying attention to Carol as she walked away. 

Shane looked thoughtful for a minute before he smiled at Andrea.  “Herd?  That sounds about right.  We’ve all seen it before, that night camp got attacked.”  He said and I pinched his side. 

Catching my meaning, Shane cracked his neck and clapped his hands.  “All right people, let’s get back to it.  We’ve still got plenty to do.” 

~

It was getting hotter as the clouds of the storm broke and the morning sun came out in full shine.  I felt like I was cooking—literally and it was only mid-morning. 

I was in the middle of helping Shane fix up an ugly green Hyundai—he said it was for us to have another vehicle to use when we found another camp.  It was a really good idea, but I hated the thought of us being separated again—even if we were just driving. 

Carl’s shriek met my ears a minute later and Lori—who had been raiding a blue minivan—came racing from the back as Carl and Sophia ran up screaming.  “Uncle Shane—

“Carl, what happened?”  She yelled. 

“Mom, we found something cool.”  He said proudly through a rolled up black bag at Shane’s feet.  “See, check it out.” 

To all our surprised, Carl unraveled the back to show us a set of loggers tools.  It had a little bit of everything; a hatchet, several wicked looking knives and a shining black axe.  I was impressed.  Lori, however, was not.

“It’s an arsenal.”  Carl exclaimed proudly, obviously trying to impress his Uncle, his face flushed red from exertion.  Damn kid was too much sometimes. 

“That good, Carl, why don’t you give them to Dale?”  I told him as I saw the angry scowl on Lori’s face as she glared at me. 

What did she want?  He was boy…boys were curious by nature and if she didn’t want him getting into trouble she should have been watching him more closely.  I loved my little Grimes more than life itself, but I wasn’t his mother and Lori shouldn’t expect me to always be there to keep him out of trouble. 

“Check this one out, Aunt Birdie.  Whoa, it’s a hatchet.”  He stated, looking at the sharp blade in awe.

“Carl, put that down, they’re sharp.”  Lori commanded, but little Grimes wasn’t paying her any mind. 

“Yeah,” he continued to ramble.  “They’re really sharp.” 

“Carl, what did I just say?”  She scolded and I fought the urge to laugh. 

“Can I keep one?”  He asked, looking a Lori with those fabulous puppy dog eyes. 

Shane snorted from under the hood of the SUV and discreetly as I could, I reached over and pinched his ass.  His head shot up, smacking hard against the carbon fiber off the hood as he growled, “Birdie…”

“Are you crazy?”  Lori asked, bending to retrieve the dangerous object from her son. 

Carl jerked away, turning to Shane for help.  “Uncle Shane, tell her to let me keep it.” 

This time I snorted, covering my mouth with my hand as Shane looked at Carl with surprise, immediately throwing his hands in the air as he surrendered to Lori’s murderous glare. 

“Oh no, big man.  I ain’t gettin’ in the middle of this.  You’re on your own.”  He laughed. 

Carl looked like he was gonna protest and turn this into a big fight.  “Go on and do what you’re Aunt Birdie tells you.  Go on, now get.”  Shane told him, swatting his butt as he passed. 

~

“Where’s my gun?”  Andrea asked Dale as Shane and I worked with Glenn, T-dog, Lori, Carl and Sophia to get our found provisions in order.  “You had no right to take it.” 

He muttered something lowly in reply, but whatever he said only seemed to piss Andrea off even more.  I could kind of understand her anger at the old man.  It was her gun—her protection, but I could also see why Dale would be afraid to let her have it.  Andrea—for whatever else I thought about her—she was a loose cannon.  A loose cannon who had just tried to kill herself yesterday. 

“My father gave it to me, it’s mine.”  She stated lowly, her eyes narrowing in anger. 

Again, Dale muttered something quietly but Andrea wasn’t having it. 

“Shane,” I whispered quietly, coming up behind him to lay a hand on his shoulder.  “I think we’ve got trouble.” 

He looked up, his eyes immediately narrowing at the concern on my face.  “What is it, baby?” I cut my eyes to the argument blooming between Dale and Andrea.  

He followed my line of sight and sighed.  “I’ll take care of it.” 

“Everythin’ cool?”  Shane asked, running a hand across the back of his dirty neck. 

“No,” she replied with a scoff.  “I want my gun back.” 

“I don’t think it’s a good idea.”  Dale interrupted, turning his back on Shane as he continued to fiddle with the guts of his R.V.

Shane sighed, “Why not?” 

“I’m not comfortable with it.”  Dale said pointedly, looking at Shane with a pleading look and Andrea scoffed, shaking her head.

Now I almost felt bad for getting him involved.  I knew Shane well and he wouldn’t allow Andrea to be running around in a deranged mentality with a loaded gun near his family.  He was about to become the bad guy. 

“Truth is,” Shane said, looking like he’d rather shoot himself in the foot than have to pull this card.  “…the less guns we have floatin’ around camp, the better.”

“You gonna give up your weapon?” Andrea asked condescendingly.  “What about your pretty little wife.  Does she get to keep her gun?” 

Shane laughed humorlessly, shaking his head and leveling the blond with a glare. “Naw,” he said with a chuckle.  “But I’m trained—

“And your wife?  Your pretty little wife?”  She asked snottily.  Oh welcome back, bitch Andrea. 

He looked downright pissed at the comment.  “Birdie’s certified…has been since she was 10 years old.  You didn’t even know how to take the safety off until Rick showed you.  You need to be properly trained…Hell, you all do.  But until that time, I think Dale keeps them all accounted for.” 

“Wanna tell me what that was all about?”  Shane asked Dale as Andrea sneered at him and stormed off. 

“Oh good, they’re back…” Glenn commented.

It was almost dark when the boys emerged again, dirtier than before and covered in blood.  Lori and Carl dashed forward meeting Ricky before he even crossed the guard rail, with me hot on their heels, dropping to my knees instantly to receive a well-deserved slobbery kiss from Trusty. 

“Such a good boy,” I cooed at him. 

“You didn’t find him?”  Carol asked, tears flowing down her cheeks. 

“Trail went cold.”  Ricky told her, climbing over the guard rail.  “We’ll pick it up again at first light.” 

Carol started shaking her head as Shane came up behind me, pulling me back to his chest.  “You can’t leave my husband out there.”  She cried.  “He can’t spend the night alone in the woods.” 

Daryl nodded at me from behind Ricky and then turned to face Carol.  “We can’t be out there in the dark.  We’d just be trippin’ over ourselves—

“But Ed…you know he can’t be out there by himself.  You didn’t find anything?”  Carol cried frantically.  I wanted to snort because I knew damn well it was true.  I’m surprised that bastard could survive walking from his sofa to the front door every day.

Ricky looked flustered as he tried to calm the sobbing woman.  “I know this is hard but I’m askin’ you not to panic.  We know that he’s out there—

“Yeah, we tracked him for a while.”  Daryl said, defending my brother.  I was oddly touched by the soft way he spoke to Carol…even though he hated Ed. 

Ricky nodded, looking to all of us as he spoke.  “Now, we have to make this an organized effort…”  he rambled on, speaking as though anybody wanted to risk their lives for the man who’d sooner beat on his wife than save her. 

Shane’s hands were painfully gripping my hips now as his temper started to get the better of him.  I knew this was not what he was wanting to hear…I knew he wanted us to get back on the road to Fort Benning as soon as possible, not going on a wild goose chase for a man who would probably slit all our throats in our sleep. 

“Is that…is that blood.”  Carol gasped, drawing my attention back to her as she looked at Daryl with a pale face. 

Daryl looked down, examining the legs of his Dickies where sure enough, there was a large patch of blood that nearly covered the entire knees of his pants. 

Carol started to hyperventilate and Ricky jumped in, trying to calm her.  “We took down a walker.  There was no sign that it was anywhere near Ed.” 

“How can you know that?”  Andrea asked, looking doubtful and again, I wanted to smack the shit out of her.  Why does that woman always seem to ask the most horrible questions when it was obvious that we were trying not to instill panic in the group—or in this case, Carol.

“We cut the som’bitch open,” Daryl replied softly as Rick looked to him for help.  “Made sure.” 

Carol looked relieved and Lori moved forward to settle the woman against the guard rain. 

“How could you just leave him out there to begin with?”  Carol demanded of my brother as she looked to him with hate filled eyes.  “How could you just leave him?”

Excuse the fuck out of me? 

“Look, the walkers were on us.  Ed was defenseless…I had to draw them off.  I told him to get into a tree…he was gone when I made my way back.  It was his best chance.” 

“Sounds like Rick did everything he could, Carol.”  Shane said defensively. 

“How was he supposed to find his way back?”  She cried.  And I was about at the end of my tether.  “How’s he supposed to make it on his own?  You left him there!” 

“It was my only option.”  Rick pleaded, looking like he was about to cry right along with her.  I was damn near seeing red at this point.  She was using guilt against my poor, soft hearted brother so badly he probably wouldn’t sleep a wink till that fat prick was found. 

“You left my husband in the woods.”  She cried.  “You just left him there.” 

“Excuse me!”  I growled, ripping myself out of Shane’s grasped and going to stand shoulder to shoulder with my brother. 

She looked shocked to see me standing there, glaring down at her.  She had no idea.  I didn’t take kindly to the way she was speaking to my twin and if we had been in any other situation I would have smashed her face into the pavement like I did to the first girl who broke Ricky’s heart.  You don’t mess with family. 

“What?” she gasped, looking taken aback. 

Lori looked to me with wide eyes, probably knowing I was about to lose my shit.  Shane came up behind me, bracing both hands on my shoulder and cooed, “Calm down, baby,” into my ear. 

“No.” I told him, once again shirking off his hands.  “I said ‘excuse me’.  My brother didn’t have to go after your husband to begin with… but you see, he has a really big heart and probably couldn’t stand the thought of your face if something happened to that fat-bastard you call your husband.  He left his wife and child behind to go lookin’ for him.  My husband left me to go lookin’ for him.  Doesn’t that mean anythin’ to you?  You should be grateful we’re even botherin’, or have you forgotten that your husband hit that same man’s sister back at the quarry for trying to save your ass?” 

“That’s enough, Birdie.”  Ricky snapped as he grasped my upper arm and pushed me back into Shane’s chest. 

As Carol continued to cry and carry on, my brother’s face fell.  He got up a moment later looking haggard and worn and walked away. 

“Hope you’re happy.”  I snapped, before I sneered at the woman and stormed after my brother down. 

“Ricky,” I called out.

He stopped but he didn’t turn around.  “Ricky, it wasn’t your—

“Damn it, Birdine, did you have say all that to her!”  He whispered furiously. 

Taken back by the anger he seemed to be directing at me, I stumbled backwards—right back into a solid warm wall.  Steading myself, I took a step back and craned my neck to look into the furious eyes of my husband.  He was glaring at Rick with enough heat to burn us all to ash where we stood. 

“Baby,” he said, never taking his eyes off on my brother.  “You head on back with the others.  Get the rig set up for Lori and Carl.  I need to have a word with my partner.” 

I nodded vigorously, and started back to the caravan of camper as I heard Shane start in on Ricky. 

“What the fuck is your problem—

~

It was well after dark when I saw my brother next.  I had put Lori and Carl in the sleeper with Trusty hours ago and had taken sentry with Dale. 

Dale and I were in a deep discussion concerning the pro’s and con’s of tattoos.  It had all started innocently enough…I had just taken off my boots and socks to cool my feet when he caught sight of the little black footprint I had near my ankle. 

“A footprint?” He had asked in amusement and then commented on the initials under it.  “CCG?”

I smiled at the older man.  “Carl Chandler Grimes.”  I told him, rubbing at the little footprint wistfully.  “I had it done the week Carl was born.  I was shitfaced drunk…Shane took me.” 

“Drunk?”  He asked, looking at me like I was crazy.  “Celebrating?” 

“In a way, but I was also mourning.” 

“Mourning?”  He asked, not understanding what I was getting at. 

“I was in an accident when I was 13…” I sighed, not really understanding why I was telling him this.  “Ricky was supposed to be looking after me for the day, but he and Shane were too busy entertaining some of the girls from our class to realize that I was off sulking by myself…

…I had climbed out my bedroom window and onto the 2nd story roof our house.  Daddy was building an add-on to the garage…it was just a slab of concrete then.  I slipped on a lose shingle and landed on a piece of rebar sticking up out of where the plumbing was supposed to go… I can’t have children.” 

“I’m sorry.”  Dale said, placing a hand on my shoulder. 

“Yeah,” I said sniffling.  “Me, too.  I always wanted a big family of my own…so when Carl was born it was both a happy day and a slap in the face.  I was so happy for my brother and still…so sad…”

“Birdie,” my brother said quietly, poking his head over the top of the roof. 

Dale smiled at him and nodded to me.  “You and Shane mind keepin’ watch tonight, I think this old man deserves some shut-eye.” 

“Of course, Dale.”  I told him.  It’s not like Shane and I had any place to sleep anyway. 

Rick stepped up on the roof, looking down at his shoes as Dale made his way down the ladder. 

It was silent for a few minutes, before I noticed the bruise on Ricky’s jaw.  “What—

“I’m sorry,” He interrupted.  “I shouldn’t have jumped on you back there…you were just defending me.” 

I nodded and then pointed to his jaw.  “Your face?”

He laughed, rubbing the sore spot.  “Your husband makes a powerful argument.” 

Well, that answers that question.  “Yeah,” I laughed.  “I guess he does.” 

“I really am sorry, Birdie.  It’s just… the stress—

“Ricky,” I sighed, patting the roof next to me.  He sat down and I hugged him to me.  “I know you didn’t mean nothin’ by it…but I’ve hardly ever seen you angry with me…I mean, I’m used to us arguing, but not you being pissed at me…it scared me.” 

“Oh God,” he cried, hugging me tighter.  “I would never…I wasn’t even mad at you—

“I know.”  I told him, rocking him back and forth.  “I know.” 

My brother was a man few could ever hope to live up to.  He was generous, self-sacrificing and an all-around good guy.  But this was different than being a Sheriff of King County.  Lives were on the line here and the stress of leading was tearing him apart.  Perhaps he just wasn’t cut out for this role. 

No comments:

Post a Comment